So, you are probably looking for the best headphones under $200. Headphones used to be a fancy thing 8-10 years ago, but now it’s an essential gadget to have. In the current technology based life, this is the gear which gives peace to your ears and mind. No matter you are watching movies, listening to the music or playing games on Xbox, PS4 or on your PC.
Having a headphone and having a good quality headphone is not the same thing. A good quality headphone will essentially give you more features just a headphone. And good quality obviously comes with a little bit more price though a higher price doesn’t always ensure good quality. A headphone with $200 made for DJ might not be good for you and the $200 headphone made for you will not be a good pick for a music studio.
Considering all these issues, we made a list of 10 best headphones under $200 and above $100. There’s a lot of good quality headphones in this price range. I’ve discussed what do I mean by good quality, after the table as I wanted to give you the list first to have a look. I always look at the products first, this gives me a good feeling. So I offer the same.
- How to Pick a Headphone Under $200
- 10 Best Headphones Under $200
How to Pick a Headphone Under $200
There is a detailed infographic on this site “How to Choose Your Headphone Technically“. This infographic cover almost all the fact’s you need to consider to know your headphone. I’ll again discuss few of them here with the context of this post.
Generally, our human ear’s can hear sound frequency between 20Hz to 20,000Hz. There are headphones that start with 100Hz and end at 18,000Hz. This will give you a less clear sound. Some headphones give more wide frequency range like 15Hz to 24,000Hz. Though you can’t hear the extra frequencies, on those headphones, you’ll feel the sound better.
Your headphone Driver is also a big factor in sound quality. Standard driver size for On-Ear or Over-ear headphones is between 40mm – 50mm. Standard driver size for In-ear canal Headphones are between 8.5mm to 12.5mm and In-Ear Earbuds are 13.5mm – 15.5mm. So, you should stick with the standard size.
Connectivity: Wired or Bluetooth or RF
Now you’ve Bluetooth everywhere. In your PC, Laptop, Phones or any audio output device. Though gaming consoles still prefer 3.5mm jack. A great number of headphones have Bluetooth. Some even have NFC feature to connect with your phone. Obviously other than that, 3.5mm jack is the wired version of connectivity. Latest Bluetooth version is Bluetooth 4.1 which offer a very wide range to stay connected without any problem. Bluetooth 4.0 is still a good option as most of the headphones have Bluetooth 4.0. Some advanced headphones offer both Wireless and Wired connectivity.10 Best Headphones Under $200 | Get a Headphone that plays music! Click To Tweet
Noise Cancelling: Active or Passive
Many peoples look for this specific feature and again for many, this is not a big deal. For some, it’s a good to have feature. Headphone feature says Noise Cancelling, Noise Isolation, Noise Reduction etc. Remember that all those are not the same function though Noise Isolation and Noise Reduction is same. There are two types of Noise Cancelling. Active and Passive. Noise Isolation and Noise Reduction is Passive Noise Cancelling. They use the foam around the ear piece and design techniques to block outside noise. While Active Noise Cancelling is actually a digital method of doing it. Headphones with Active Noise Cancelling features have small microphones for this purpose. These microphones collect the outside noise, process it create opposite sound frequency to cancel it then output it with the drivers.
10 Best Headphones Under $200
Audio-Technica ATH-M50X Specification
- Driver: 45mm Neodymium Drivers
- Frequency response:15Hz – 28,000 Hz
- Sensitivity: 99dB
- Impedence: 38 ohms
- Weight: 285g weight without cable and connector
- 3 Interchangeable Detachable coiled and straight cables
- 90-degree swiveling
- Professional grade earpads
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x has all the features of its predecessor ATH-M50 with additional feature of detachable cables. Sounds are exceptionally clear because of the extended frequency range with deep, accurate bass response. The most critically acclaimed model in the M-Series line, the ATH-M50 is praised by top audio engineers and pro audio reviewers year after year. Top sound engineers and and professional reviewers recommended this Studio monitor headphone.
Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition
Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Specification
- Advanced Duofol diaphragms
- Frequency response: 12Hz to 28500Hz
- Sound pressure level: 112dB
- Impedence: 50 ohms
- Weight: 270g ,
- 1/4-inch audio jack with 3.5mm adapter.
- Two cable options (3 meters and 1.2 meters) included along with 3.5mm adapter plug
Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition offer incredible sound and performance. Innovative acoustic engineering delivers incredibly natural, detailed and balanced sound. Crafted with precision using premium materials, they exude luxury and quality while delivering exceptional sound quality.
Bose QuietComfort 20
- Ideal for iPod, iPhone and iPad
- Noise cancelling reduces surrounding distractions, letting music stand out
- Aware mode lets you hear what's around you when you need to, at the touch of a button
- Exclusive TriPort technology and Active EQ help deliver lifelike, digital-quality audio
- Stay Hear+ tips provide long-lasting comfort plus stability
Bose QuietComfort 20 Specification
- StayHear®+ tips:1.25″ H x 1″ W x 0.5″ D
- USB cable:12″ L
- Clothing clip:1″ H x 0.25″ W x 0.5″ D
- Control module:3.5″ H x 1.25″ W x 0.375″ D
- Case:1″ H x 5.5″ W x 3.1″ D
- 16hours of use from a full-charged battery.
Bosh QuietComfort is the first earbud to have Active Noise Cancelling technology. No wonder as Bose invented the technology at first place. No matter where you are, the Bose QuietComfort 20 will give you a perfect isolation from outide noise with ANC. But sometimes you may want to stay aware of your surroundings while listening to your favourit music. Not a problem, just turn on the Aware mode from the control and your ANC will be stopped to make you environment aware. This small sized earbud can give you perfect music experince same as a full-size over-the-ear headphones.
With this, you won’t be needing to worry about fit for your ear. The Stay Hear+ tips create a soft, secure fit for your ear. The inline microphone and remote let you switch to calls on your iPhone. The rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides up to 16 hours of use. And even when the power is off or the battery runs out, you can still use these headphones to enjoy Bose quality sound. In that case, ANC won’t work without Battery.
This device is specifically made for iPhone. But worry not if you are an Android User. Bose has the Android version of the same earphone for you.
- Quiet Comfort 20 headphones;
- 3 pairs Stay Hear+ tips (S, M, L);
- Clothing clip;
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery (built-in);
- USB charging cable; carrying case.
Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7GM SonicPro
Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7GM Specification
- Driver Diameter: 45 mm
- Frequency Response: 5Hz – 40,000Hz
- Maximum Input Power 2,000 mW
- Sensitivity: 100 dB/mW
- Impedance: 35 ohms
- Weight: 290 g
- Detachable Cable: 1.2 m (3.9′) standard cable, detachable 3.0 m (9.8′) standard cable, detachable 1.2 m (3.9′) cable with in-line controls and microphone for smartphones
- Connector 3.5 mm gold-plated stereo mini plug, L-shaped
- Microphone Type: Condenser
- Microphone Frequency Response: 50Hz – 4,000 Hz
Audio-Technica is especially known for their vast heritage in professional audio. ATH-MSR7 Over-Ear headphones are designed to reproduce High-Resolutoin Audio, meaning to provide audio exactly it was made in the studio. This headphone has 44mm True Motion Drivers, made with lightweight voice coils, custom mounted circuit board and specially designed diaphragm to improve transient response, rich sound, detailed audio.
A multi-layered air damping technology is used to produce an extended mid-to-low frequency response. The housing is constructed with an aluminum/magnesium mix and designed to fill ears of any size. The housing is also layered to provide a lightweight, rigid structure that reduces unwanted resonance. There are three precisely placed vents within these layers to improve the air flow. The over-ear headphones’ highly flexible swivel design, with soft, memory foam ear pads and headband ensure lasting comfort even during the longest listening sessions.
Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro
BeyerDynamic DT-900 Pro Specification
- Frequency Response: 5Hz – 35,000Hz
- Maximum Input Power 2,000 mW
- Sensitivity: 96 dB/mW
- Impedance: 250 ohms
- Weight: 290 g
- Connector: Coiled connecting cable with mini-jack plug (3.5 mm) & ¼“ adapter (6.35 mm)
DT 990 Pro 250 is suitable for most demanding monitoring and studio applications. The low weight diaphragm and properly placed coil create a pulse that is almost same as electrostatic headphones. 990 Pro’s frequency response creates a natural and balanced sound. This acoustically open dynamic headphone will give you exceptionally high-quality sound. If you use headphones for a long period of time, this one is perfect for you as soft velour ear pads and adjustable, sliding, earpieces combined with a very flexible coiled cable ensure listening comfort during extended periods of use.
Bluedio U (UFO) PPS8
Bluedio U (UFO) PPS Specification
- Drivers: 50mm*2, 20mm*6 drivers
- Frequency response: 5Hz – 25,000Hz
- Sound Pressure Level: 120dB
- Impedance: 32 ohms
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.1 (32ft operating distance) and 3.5mm jack
- Weight: 337g
- A2DP, AVRCP, HSP, HFP compatible
- 24Bit @ 48KHz sound resolution
- Built-in rechargeable battery, usable without battery via 3.5mm headset jack
- 28 talk time, 25 hours music time from a single charge
The most amazing thing about this awesome headphone is, it literally have 8 Drivers, yes eight drivers. Bleudio created PPS8 Technology inspired from home theater speakers. They specially arranges and combined multiple drivers to deliver astounding sound. The music sound is clear, detailed and balanced. You’ll experience sound is coming from all around you, you just need to turn on the 3D sound. A built-in DSP processor is also used to deliver this quality of sound.
This is an Bluetooth 4.1 featured wireless headphone. You won’t have to worry about jacks and adapters. Now almost all of your music sender device has Bluetooth and you can enjoy a 32-feet range area to listen to your music. The Built-in lithium-ion battery can provide you upto 25hours of continous wirless music playback.
No matter how long you use it, you willll feel very comfortable when you wear them. It is build with soft leatherette ear pads. Bluedio U (UFO) PPS8 is build with premium materials, Al-Ti alloy, including robust, lightweight alloyed ear cups, yokes and sliders, which makes it sturdy and durable to last for years.
Beats Solo 2 Specification
- Height : 7.8 inch
- Weight: 205gm
- Connector Type: Bluetooth 4.1 and 3.5mm jack
- Sound Output Mode: Stereo
- Microphone: yes
- Hands-free: yes
The Solo2 Wireless has a dynamic and wide range of sound with a natural clarity. This is not an active noise cancelling headphone but the ear cup padding buffers outside noise. Regardless of what kind of music you’re into, you will feel the crisp, balanced sound in your Solo2 Wireless.
Beats Solo2 Wireless comes with Bluetooth 4.1, that means you can move around 32feet from your source and still enjoy your music sharp and clean. Solo2 has a built-in mic and it enable to you use this headphone as hands-free. Call Receive, end and volument controlls are on the ear cup.
Built-in battery of Solo can play 12-hours of music without rechart. The illuminated LED fuel gauge on the headphone lets you know when it’s time to recharge. Even if you run out of power, plug in the aux cable with 3.5mm jack for unlimited wired listening.
You can fold the headphone and pack it inside the hard cover. The housing is very durable. All together this is a tough headphone and you can take it anywhere you go.
Beats Solo 2 has a Wired Version also. You can have a look at that. Its just wired version of same wireless headphone.
Sony MDR-XB950BT Extra Bass
Sony MDR XB950BT Specification
- Drivers: 40mm
- Frequency Response: 3Hz –28,000Hz
- Sensitivities: 102dB
- Weight: 280gm
- Microphone: Omni directional
- Bluetooth with AAC and aptX Technology
- Rechargable Bettary with upto 20hr of Music Playtime
Sony MDR-XB950BT with 40mm drivers can produce electronic Base to boost your listening experince. 3Hz – 28kHz Frequency response will give you crisp sharp sound and 102db Sensitivities can you you really loud sound. You sould be stay aware that a high volumne in this headphone may even hurt your ears.
This Bluetooth Wireless headphone come with AAC and aptX Technology. Meaning even if its wireless, there will be no compromise and compression on the sound. With wireless enabled, rechargable battery can give you 20hours of music.
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0
- Closed back, on-ear design featuring Bluetooth technology and immediate pairing to smart devices using NFC connectivity for wireless freedom
- Noise Gard hybrid active noise cancellation blocks ambient noise using 4 microphones for ultimate isolation to dramatically improve sound quality in noisy environments
- 22 hour battery life with both Bluetooth and Noise Gard activated to insure performance during long commutes or plane flights
- technology uses 2 built-in microphones working seamlessly to improve voice quality and remove external noise during phone calls
- Two year warranty when purchased from an authorized Sennheiser dealer
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Specification
- Impedance: 18 ohm
- Frequency response: 16Hz – 22000Hz
- Sound pressure level (SPL): 113dB
- Ear coupling: Circumaural
- Jack plug: 3.5mm straight
- Cable length: 1.4m (Detachable)
- Transducer principle Dynamic: closed
- Frequency response (microphone): 100Hz – 10,000Hz
- Pick-up pattern: Omni-directional
Momentum 2.0 Wireless is second generation in Momentum headset family. Bluetooth technology frees you from wires while new NoiseGard hybrid active noise cancellation virtually eliminates unwanted ambient sound further enhancing the audio experience.
New, slightly larger ear cups using ergonomically designed, leather covered memory foam cushions provide extreme comfort for long listening sessions. The new folding headband features hidden hinges providing improved portability. Momentum 2.0 Wireless lets you experience crystal-clear Momentum sound without being attached to a cable.
Momentum 2.0 Wireless incorporates aptX codec, delivering CD-quality audio when connected to a Bluetooth aptX enabled device. This also has a 3.5mm jack to use with Mobile devices if you want.
Sennheiser RS120 Specification
- Impedance: 24 ohm
- Dimensions: 85 x 225 x 133 mm
- Connector Jack: 3.5 mm, /6.35 mm stereo
- Frequency response: 22Hz – 19500Hz
- SPL for peak deviation: 106 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio: 65 dBA
- Modulation FM: Stereo
- Power supply Receiver: 2 AAA cells-rechargeable
- Weight Receiver: 230 g (inc. Batteries)
- Weight Transmitter: 200 g
The RS 120 RF (Radio Frequency) Wireless Headphone lets you enjoy sound without the cumbersome cables associated with traditional headphones. This system features a lightweight on-ear headphone that receives sound from a transmitter base when connected to an analog output of any audio source (like a TV, sound system or computer). The sound quality is classic Sennheiser; detailed and balanced with good clarity and bass response. These lightweight headphones, featuring a padded headband for comfort are ideal for long listening or TV watching sessions.
RS 120 RF Wireless Headphones offer exceptional performance and value. They draw on decades of Sennheiser engineering expertise to ensure premium sound quality, reliability and durability.
This wireless headphone system comes with an easy to use recharging system. The headphones are powered with NiMH batteries (included). Once installed in the headphone ear cups, the batteries are recharged by simply placing the headphones on the transmitter base. The transmitter also features an automatic on/off circuit. It powers on when the connected audio source is activated without switches or buttons! Five minutes after the audio source is turned off, the transmitter shuts off to conserve power and battery life.
Just be aware that this is a RF Wireless headphone, not a Bluetooth Wireless headphone. You can’t connect to your Bluetooth device with this headphone. To connect to any device, you need to use the RS 120 RF Transmitter and 3.5mm jack to connect with the Audio Out device and the Transmitter will transmit the frequency to your headphone.